Tagged with: #Social Media Marketing
December 5, 2019 12:00 pm
At the moment, we don’t encourage you to put all your money into Reddit ads or a community manager to build subreddits just yet. However, it’s still smart to keep an eye on platforms that could offer solid marketing opportunities in the future.
To keep you informed and help you make strategic social media decisions, here’s a list of 30 helpful and intriguing Reddit stats related to the company, its user base, and what it takes to engage audiences on the platform.
- Reddit surpassed 330 million monthly active users in 2017. (Reddit)
- The site receives more than 21 billion monthly screen views. (Reddit)
- 6% of online adults are Reddit users (Pew Research Center)
- Reddit was founded in 2005 and acquired by Condé Nast in 2006. (Crunchbase)
- While Reddit was reportedly sold for between $10-$20 million, the company’s valuation grew to 1.8 billion after 2017 funding rounds. (CNBC)
- Gen Z makes up 26% of Reddit Users. (Reddit Blog)
- Reddit is predominantly male. 15% of male internet users between 18 to 29 say they use Reddit. (Pew Research Center)
- Only 10% of female internet users under 50 say they use Reddit. (Pew Research Center)
Source: Pew Research Center
Source: Reddit Blog
Videos on Reddit
- Within a year of launching video hosting in 2017, Reddit’s native video viewers climbed to 1.4 billion monthly. (Reddit Blog)
- In 2018, video viewing time grew by 38%: Total users went from viewing 400,000 hours of natively hosted video every day to more than 13 million hours of video monthly. (Reddit Blog)
- 50% of Reddit audiences under 34 watch short, “snack-sized” videos more often than longer-form content. (Reddit Blog)
- In 2018, three of Reddit’s five highest-performing posts included videos while one included a photo. (Reddit Blog)
Engaging Content and Hot Topics
- In a 2019 study of 60,000 Reddit posts, those between 60 and 80 characters get 8,600 upvotes. (Foundation Inc.)
- The study also found that posts under 120 characters get more upvotes than posts above the character count. (Foundation inc.)
Source: Foundation Inc.
- Posts with questions generate twice as many comments as posts without them. But, oppositely, posts without questions get more upvotes than posts with them. (Foundation Inc.)
- The top two communities in 2018 were related to the blockbuster film, Avengers: Infinity War. (Reddit Blog)
- Two of the most commented-on subreddits of 2018 related to video games. (Reddit Blog)
- Four of Reddit’s top Ask-Me-Anything (AMA) threads in 2018 discussed politics while the most engaging thread featured Bill Gates. (Reddit Blog)
- Aside from movies, like Infinity War, one of Reddit’s most popular topics is technology. In 2018, Reddit reported that all of its tech-related subreddits combined received more than 27 million unique monthly visitors and 284 monthly views. (Reddit Blog)
Source: Foundation Inc.
Takeaways from Reddit Stats
If you’re a marketer in a field related to consumer products, especially technology, you might not want to count out Reddit just yet. As we’ve learned from the stats above, young people, especially in Gen Z are using and trusting the platform as a source for product research.
If your company has a lot of great video content, you also might not want to write off the platform. In Reddit’s 2018 review, the company said, “Video is King” when it came to engaging posts. As we’ve seen on other social networks, online video, especially in a mobile format, is being embraced much more heavily than it has in the past. Because of this, it might be worth it to explore the idea of a Reddit video strategy if you ever have extra time or resources available to you.
If you’re really interested in testing out content on Reddit, but don’t know where to start, it can be helpful to get inspiration from brands who’ve already succeeded there. In this post, you can check out a few great examples.
Originally published Dec 5, 2019 7:00:00 AM, updated December 05 2019
Tags: Social Media Marketing
Social Media Marketing
Categorised in: Inbound Marketing, Social Media Marketing
This post was written by Keywords